Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Boogety...Boogety...Boogety, boys! Let's go RACING!!!

After quite a bit of work on the car and some minor setbacks, Jacob and his car were ready to race in the Lubbock Texas Pinewood Derby.  


At the big, day, we got there a bit early and I managed to snag a picture of Jacob with his best friend, Ben.  Several people were around working on their cars "last minute" like, adding weight or putting graphite powder on the axles.


We combined the pinewood derby for 4 wards at the same time so our resident sports expert and Cub Scout chair, Jason, set up two double elimination brackets based on some qualifying heats.  It's a good thing he understood how the whole thing worked, because I sure didn't.  I KNEW there was a reason I should have paid more attention to sports...  They set the track up in the gym of our Stake Center.  I don't know that I've seen it up close before even though we've been "around" for 3 of the past ones here.  It's actually a pretty nice aluminum track with a set of sensors at the end for telling who crossed the finish line when.  Not sure if we bought it or made it, but it's quality racing, let me tell you...


 So, one of the things that I am NOT is a race car designer.  Mostly, Jacob and I focused on getting the car to look like he wanted it.  It was not necessarily designed for the speediest race.  He did beat out a guy in the qualifying heats, but lost both tournament races.  The video is his second tournament race.


He seemed to have a good time, although, obviously we both wish his car had done better.  I guess it just means that I have some research to do to help him make a better car next year.

- Josh

1 comment:

  1. Pinewood Derby time is always a great adventure...lived through many of them! It's a great father/son time.

    ReplyDelete