Friday, March 21, 2014

The Shadow knows...

I have, for the entire time we've been in this apartment in Lubbock, been vehemently against getting a dog.  First off, we have a perfectly acceptable, sedate cat named Rambo (no, we did not name him), or if you're my mother in-law, Fred.  Rambo has figured out how things are going to work in this house and stays within the rules.  We very rarely have problems.  Second, I feel kind of guilty keeping a dog in an apartment.  I've always imagined that they would be miserable not having a backyard that they can just run free in as their nature would seem to dictate.  It seems cruel to me.  Third, did I mention Rambo was sedate?  We get along that way.


So imagine my surprise when, today, I get off work after a 10+ hour shift and come out to the van with my wife and kids ready to pick me up to find a dog among their number.  Meagan, appropriately, named the black dog, Shadow.  So without further ado, I introduce the newest member of our family:



We were told that he is a Cocker Spaniel/Schnauzer/Pug mix.  We think he also has some Chihuaua in him as well. Shadow is an active puppy and seems to have really warmed up to the whole family.  Well, the whole family except Rambo, who is no longer the center of pet-ly attention, nor the only non-human occupant in the house.  He ranges from ignoring Shadow to hissing and swatting at him depending on the level of the perceived "infraction" that Shadow has committed (walking in the same general viscinity, existing, etc...).  No harm has been done, and Rambo still has the run of the house after everyone goes to sleep, but it has certainly been an adjustment for him.


- Josh             

1 comment:

  1. Shadow is just too cute...what's not to love. Fred (Rambo) certainly has the right to his opinion, however.

    ReplyDelete